Re: [softwaremgmt] What is wrong with softwaremgmt in 11.0. ?SVN status?
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:52:17 +0200
Dňa Tuesday 02 September 2008 23:55:18 Christian Morales Vega ste napísal:
2008/9/2 Michael Andres <ma@xxxxxxx>:
While zypper delegates as much as possible to the solver,
yast-pkgbindings tried to do as much as possible on their own. And the
yast-ui is somewhere in the middle.

yast-pkgbindings == updater and yast-ui == sw_single module? Just
guessing...

No. yast-pkgbindings ~ installation, other packaging tasks done by YaST
modules (install single package, repository management, ...). yast-ui =
special package selector widget which directly talks to libzypp for
performance and maintainability reasons used in sw_single.

We already started to migrate the old code, to move decisions out of the
applications and into libzypp and finaly into the satsolver.

For 11.1 yast-pkgbindings are changed to use the libzypp Selectable
interface, the same one the yast-ui uses. It's still not perfect,
but the code is now located inside libzypp and so we have just one
location to improve.

And we just moved the 'distribution upgrade' from libzypp into the
satsolver. Whith this 'zyppper dup' on 11.1 will respect all active
solver policies, and not just some of them (as in 4).

The required changes are quite radical so I don't know whether we will
port this back to 11.0. But the issues are IMO valid and we must address
them.

Good to know. Since the problem looks complex I can survive with the
11.0 stack now that I know it, I will update to 11.1 the day it is
released anyway. I prefer resources to be put in a better 11.1 stack
than in a backport.

What I really missed in 11.0 was something in the release notes. I
started using ZYpp instead of Smart with 11.0, and being new to it I
needed a lot of time (really!!) to fully understand why the updater
applet was doing a thing, zypper up another and zypper dup something
different. I would understand if in 11.1 there are still some rough
edges, but an explanation in the release notes would be highly
appreciated so they are not surprises.

Thanks for the feedback. You basically have problem to start using openSUSE
packagemanagement tools and concepts coming from smart user community. We are
trying to lower the confusion, but seems we are still failing.

Stano