Re: [softwaremgmt] What is wrong with softwaremgmt in 11.0. ?SVN status?
  • From: Michael Andres <ma@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 15:54:41 +0200
On Tue, Sep 02, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
D??a Friday 22 August 2008 18:04:11 Christian Morales Vega ste nap?al:
[...]
In my opinion:
- '1' isn't a big problem, can wait.
- '3' (and perhaps '2') NEEDS a fix for 11.0. Isn't just an
improvement, it's a bug. Right now the updater applet is totally
unusable. I can ignore "zypper lu" and just use "zypper up", but with
the applet I can't ignore the problem... "zypper lu" is the only
option available.
- '4' should be fixed for 11.0 before 11.1 is released.

I'm worried about '2' and '3' since bug #402770 was closed with
WONTFIX (and '1' is also similar).

Not sure if we are able to address the issues, as they might be very deep in
the stack and might result in unpredicable results.

They are quite deep in the stack. The basic problem is that zypper,
yast-ui and yast-pkgbindings use three quite different ways to select
packages.

While zypper delegates as much as possible to the solver, yast-pkgbindings
tried to do as much as possible on their own. And the yast-ui is somewhere
in the middle.

It's an unlucky situation that we have a powerfull solver, but some
parts still drive it through an oldstyle interface.

We already started to migrate the old code, to move decisions out of the
applications and into libzypp and finaly into the satsolver.

For 11.1 yast-pkgbindings are changed to use the libzypp Selectable
interface, the same one the yast-ui uses. It's still not perfect,
but the code is now located inside libzypp and so we have just one
location to improve.

And we just moved the 'distribution upgrade' from libzypp into the
satsolver. Whith this 'zyppper dup' on 11.1 will respect all active
solver policies, and not just some of them (as in 4).

The required changes are quite radical so I don't know whether we will
port this back to 11.0. But the issues are IMO valid and we must address
them.

--

cu,
Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862 27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4