Re: [softwaremgmt] makedeltarpm makes large deltas
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 16:30:22 +0200
On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:26:17AM -0700, polk ghusegh wrote:
I see that to keep up to date with factory I am required to download >1GB on
each new sync. I pay for bandwidth so I wanted to create some delta rpms on
a weekly basis on a server I have access to which has no bandwidth
restrictions (which I could sync to factory). I then planned to update my
system from that deltarpm server on a weekly basis for, I would guess, a few
100 MBs at most.

My problem is that for example

makedeltarpm -vv mozilla-xulrunner181-1.8.1.12-4.x86_64.rpm
mozilla-xulrunner190-1.8.99.5-2.x86_64.rpm mozilla-xulrunner.delta

yields a delta with around the same size as the rpms. This is true for all
those I tried, am I misusing the makedeltarpm program or is this expected, or
is this the result of the transition to lzma compression for factory rpms?

I am running from the 11.0 alpha3 64bit CD with some packages updated to
factory (eg, zypper, yast), deltarpm = 3.4

The reason is that we switch the RPM payload format between 10.3 and 11.0 and
you might see a
fallout of this now.

Ciao, Marcus