[opensuse-security] udev rules; use of uucp group for devices
  • From: Günter Dannoritzer <dannoritzer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:42:08 +0200
Hi,

I had asked this question over at the [opensuse] mailing list on
09/14/2008 12:46 AM and got the recommendation to ask the security
people about this issue. So here I am.

I want to use a USB device which comes up as /dev/ttyUSB0 with the
user:group = root:uucp.

Now my question is how is the intended use of this device for a normal
user? When I look at my user information with the id command I get:

uid=1000(linux) gid=100(users) groups=16(dialout),33(video),100(users)

I am hesitant to add my user to the uucp group, as I am not sure whether
that is the intended use of the group. I know there are some user/groups
on Linux only intended for some software and not for real user accounts.

I tried to overwrite the udev rule and make the ttyUSB0 device belong to
the dialout group, as my user belongs to it, but was not successful with
that.

Could someone please explain the intended use of the uucp group in
connection with hardware devices and how users are intended to access
the hardware?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Guenter