Re: [opensuse-security] rpmdb: malloc: Cannot allocate memory: 4278
  • From: Christian Boltz <suse-security@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:45:24 +0200
Hello,

Am Montag, 30. Juni 2008 schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
Christian Boltz escribió:
I have a 10.2 system that refuses to install updates :-(

zypper aborts with the message
rpmdb: malloc: Cannot allocate memory: 4278
and YOU also simply crashes.

huh.. is machine's memory OK ?

I hope so ;-) (yes, I know that this is not a very useful answer...)

What I can say is:
- I didn't notice any other problems until now - everything except
zypper (MySQL, Apache etc.) runs stable
- zypper reproducably shows the described error message, even after a
reboot
- and finally: I have no physical access to the server, so things aren't
that easy. However, I could ask the hoster to attach a KVM that can be
reached over the network and run memtest then. (The customer won't be
amused about the downtime, but...)
Ideas how to test the memory without downtime are welcome ;-)

what is the value of /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory ?

# cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
0

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Come on, just change ftp to ftp4 and go on.
1000 OpenSUSE users more or less a day really is peanuts. ;-))