Re: [suse-security] [Fwd: [suse-security-announce] Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]
  • From: Frank Steiner <fsteiner-mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:24:42 +0200
Marcus Meissner wrote

> In the end all necessary software should be covered by SLES+SLED+SDK.
> I think xv is not (as your example).

Well, SLED is the keyword, we don't have licenses for it. I'm not
sure about the licence modell, but I assume it could be quite expensive
for some hundred clients? Without SLED, a lot is missing of course...

> I would suggest switching to some kind of solution where you export
> chrooted SUSE Linux versions ... Should not be that hard, right?

That's the way Debian used to offer their diskless solutions. Actually
it isn't very nice: You always have to maintain two systems, you need
a special client that can mount the system rw for things that can't
be done with chroot on the server etc. It's a lot easier to let the
server export its own root (you would be amazed how few file really
differ between a server and a client :-)). However, that's a different
story...

Shortening the SLES release cycle would be good thing anyway, because
thinks like mysql etc. that are served by our sles servers require a
more frequent update than a two-year-cycle, so we always recompile some
stuff after about one year :-(

cu,
Frank

--