RE: [suse-security] User private groups?
  • From: "Alex Hargrove" <ahargrove@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:11:10 -0500
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I intentionally asked why SUSE doesn't do this, because RedHat does by default. To me, it seems more secure to use User Private Groups, unless I am missing something...

I know how to use chmod/chgrp, and I know I can do it manually, but I was really asking how I can do it automatically upon user creation with SUSE.

"Alex Hargrove" wrote on Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:29:39 AM EST:

> Hi all-
>
> I'm wondering why SUSE doesn't utilize User Private Groups,
> and is there a way to change the system
> so that it does use them? (snip)

Hi Alex,

A small suggestion, don't think of it as "SUSE",
but rather the "UNIX/Linux community",
of which you are not part.

Also remember that this community has in the past
strong DOD ties, including funding, mind-set, etc.

(and there are many who will argue that mind-set
continues -- with that said, you can do what you said
as Sys Admin for with your system -

The tools are there including chown & chmod,
plus SUDO for creating "User Private Groups".

And on your SuSE box using using YAST ==> "SECURITY & USERS"
==> "User management" and ==> "Group Management
your task is relatively easy.

Also see "man chown" and "man chmod"
if YAST doesn't do it for you.

In my case I found reading: