Why Install Telnet by Default?
  • From: WebDev <webdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:18:34 -0500
I am not a security expert by any means, nor necessarily a "purist", when it
comes to installing only the apps I need to run. I do install some apps that
I want to tinker with, even though I may not use them regularly. However, I
understand that we should avoid using telnet because it is "insecure". Yet,
telnet is still installed by default on SUSE, when the secure alternatives
seem to be more appropriate. I assume there is a reason for this.

I ask, because I deselected telnet when I installed SUSE 10.0, and duringa
repair process, my system reported that telnet was a core app. If we should
avoid using it, shouldn't we avoid installing it to begin with?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Don
--
Web Developer