RE: [suse-security] Strange server crash
  • From: "b@rry" <b@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:03:35 +0200
check your backup processes.

I had kernel panics happening to me when using tar to archive to a single
file over 20G.

Seems a combination of tar, gzip and reiserfs did not like the large
archives and would cuase a memory condition that sent the machines into
kernel panic.

During kernel panic, nothing gets written to disk at all so your logs just
stop dead.

I found that shortly before this dead ste, I was unable to get onto the
machine but it would respond, and then it would just die completely with no
icmp responses even.

what scripts do you run?

_____