Re: [suse-security] cracked system?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:32:28 +0200 (CEST)

El 2005-05-17 a las 19:50 +0200, Dr. Axel Krebs escribió:

> > Use anti spam filters, like spamassassin.
> Checked their webpage. Looks not "newbie-like"

True. But it comes with the distro, it is easy to setup. At least, doable
:-)

> > I don't think you machine has been compromised.
> Can I proove this?
>
> > Those email accounts do
> > not even reside on your machine, if I understood correctly your setup.
> How can i make sure on this?

Ok.

I understand you don't run you own mail service. You get your mail
accounts from several providers, businesses, professional groups, clubs,
whatever (t-online, tiscali, etc). Same as I do.

When some body emails us, the emails are sent to the machines that those
providers set up for that purpose, not to our computer, that might be even
powered off at the time. When you want to read your email, you connect and
then fetch the emails from the different servers (pop3, imap), then read,
answer, whatever.

So it is not your machine that is "compromised" or hacked. There is no
need to do so to spam us, therefore, that alone is not proof of being
hacked.

> > > Thereby, I mean: how can I reject unwanted mail?
> >
> > Don't ever "reject", then you are busted. Simply throw them to the
> > garbage.
> Understood.

If you check the rest of the answers in the thread, you will see there is a
difference between "reject" and "bounce". It is the "bounce" that is most
dangerous, and the only one we, final users, can do. The mail servers can
do a "reject". Too technical, forget it. :-)

> > > A simple "How-To", Tutorial or so preferable.
> > >
> > > 3.) For future, I like to prevent from re-establishing those trash-mails
> > > again: how can I prevent unknown people from using "my adresse"?
> >
> > Impossible :-/
> Blockheads!

We can make it more difficult. Using spamassassin is usually good enough:
with the Bayesian filters it can catch over 95% of the spam. There are
other measures. Bear in mind, anyway, that the strictest your setup, you
not only make spammers life more difficult, but also that of innocent
bystanders. That's for a long conversation, but you can glean some for the
conversations in this and other lists.

> > > 3.a) My fear is, that my emails addresses "travel" uncontrolled. Is
> > > there a way to control? (I know, this seems to be naiv)
> >
> > Impossible.
> Freedom- the other side?

Once your email is known "to the dark side", they don't forget. Now and
the, they make a mistake; I got mailed a list of addresses containing
perhaps thousands of email addresses. They sell it, I think, but they sent
it to me who knows why. Therefore, once your email starts circulating, you
can't stop it.

> Thanks a lot for your detailed remarks, Carlos!
> At this point I have to find out how to proceed stepwise.

Install spamassassin, it is included in the distro. There are readmes. The
exact procedure depends on your setup. Ask in the suse-linux-e list or
suse-linux, for example, for advice.

I'm also in search of a good document for SA, but at least, there is a
FAQ.

--
Saludos
Carlos Robinson