Re: [suse-security] Will SuSE support stack smashing protection one day?
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:13:19 -0500
On Tuesday 28 December 2004 10:29, Ralf Ronneburger wrote:
> Hi Allen,
>
> Allen wrote:
> > It does, they can brag how secure it is over other OSs in a default
> > state. Which is shit anyway, an OS should come with a more useable state
> > than secure, and it should be up to the admin to secure it as needed.
> > Which is why I don't like Open BSD. They have code audits, big deal so
> > does SUSE, they ship it with everything turned off..... Big deal, you can
> > do that with any Linux / BSD. It's shitty.
>
> it's not shitty, it's clever. For most people it's an easier job to open
> up some potential holes in order to get something running than to close
> all of those potential holes in order to get secure. That's the same way
> every good firewall should work - drop by default and open up what you
> need. With your arguments - you can also make windows secure, somehow ;-).

Except BSD isn't a firewall, it's an OS. If you couldn't make Windows secure,
Hotmail would be hacksered as much as people try.

> Besides that the OpenBSD-Team writes good (secure and functional) open
> source software that's quite often used under Linux, too. I'd not use
> OpenBSD on the desktop (besides old hardware), but I recommend to
> consider it for servers.

So how many have you actually set up using Open BSD? None?

http://www.misfits.com
Punk Rock, Opiates, and SUSE Linux.
das Blut in den Adern erstarren lassen.
Kuerbis der Zuhaelter