Re: [suse-security] Bad quality of updates from SuSE ftp server
  • From: Mike Rose <mr349@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:39:55 +0100 (BST)
When using:
rpm -ivh kernel-whatever.rpm

you get:
ls -l /boot/*previous*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Aug 5 09:59 /boot/initrd.previous ->
./initrd-2.6.5-7.75-default
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Aug 5 09:59 /boot/vmlinuz.previous ->
./vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.75-default

If you are using grub then a simple bit of editing of /boot/grub/menu.lst
something like this:
"
# color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 10

title Linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x317 splash=silent
acpi=off desktop resume=/
dev/hda2 showopts
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd

title Previous Kernel
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz.previous root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x317
splash=silent acpi=off desktop
resume=/dev/hda2 showopts
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.previous

title No ACPI, APM, DMA or resume
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 showopts ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off vga=normal no
resume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd
"

and you now have the previous kernel available.

Mike Rose
TCM & Biological Physics Computer Officer
University of Cambridge
http://www.bio.phy.cam.ac.uk/
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Ralf Ronneburger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to add my 2 cents to the discussion about bad update-quality - I'm also
> not satisfied the way it works in the last months. And as it is a fact,
> that there where many problems especially with kernel-updates in the
> last time it'd be a good idea for suse to not uninstall the old kernel
> and delete it's config but to add the new kernel as default and leave
> the old one as fallback on the system. It's not that we can't help
> ourselfs if spamassasin or tripwire are broken, but updating a kernel on
> a remote SuSE-system these days requires some delight in risk.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ralf

< Previous Next >