Re: [suse-security] hostname problem
  • From: Geoffrey <esoteric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:33:11 -0500
Kai Pfeiffer wrote:
Am Samstag, 6. März 2004 18:17 schrieb d0pey@xxxxxxxxxx:

Hi,

I have a problem whit my hostname. When ik get my IP from my ISP
via DHCP then will be chechged my hostname to cust. The DNS from my
IP is cust.x.xxx.adsl.cistron.nl

I see in my log that dhcp chancges my reslov.conf. Why ?

Because you have your dhcp configuration setup to do this. You can change this, although, typically, you want to accept the dns entries from dhcp.

I dont know how to fix this problem... I only know that mysql can`t
start because i dont have a host name anymore.

You can manually reset your hostname, see 'man hostname'

When i do hostname -f i see dont know host (or something)

When i boot whit out a inernet contection there is no problem till
i make a contection.

Greets Wouter

did you check your entries in /etc/hosts? As far as I know prorams
get the hostnames out of this file.

Your machine's host name is not taken from /etc/hosts. Typically it is set at boot by an rc process and usually can be found in /etc/hostname or /etc/HOSTNAME

--
Until later, Geoffrey Registered Linux User #108567