Re: [suse-security] root has no shell
  • From: Ulrich Kautz <uk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:46:57 +0200
Hmm, /bin/false is 0755 and belongs to root.

I also cant scp the passwd back and overwrite the existing passwd (permission
denied).

And im not trying to hack someone else system. Actually its not my System, but
the one who owns it asked me to help him.

OK, here is a short overview about my permissions:
- I do have normal user access to the system.
- I am in the admin group (gid 500, normal usergroup).
- I do have the root password (and my user password of course).
- I do not have any physical access to the System.

> Hi,
>
> here would be a workaround:
> mv /bin/false /bin/false.TEMP
> ln -s /bin/bash /bin/false
> echo "/bin/false" >> /etc/shells
> login as root
> chsh root
> set it to /bin/bash
> *undo /bin/false:
> rm /bin/false
> mv /bin/false.TEMP /bin/false
> *done
>
> Regards,
> Alin.
>
> Ulrich Kautz wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Ive got a big Problem. I changed the root shell to /bin/false.
> >
> > There is neither a user in the sudoers nor is there any other root-user
> > or even a user in the root group.
> >
> > Is it possible to switch back the shell to /bin/bash or sh or something?
> >
> > Ive tried:
> > sudo -- not in sudoers
> > su -s /bin/bash -c "command" -- "using restricted shell: /bin/false"
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> > Ulrich
>
> --
> Alin DOBRE
> Technical Support Engineer - RAV Division
> mailto:alin.dobre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.ravantivirus.com
> This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise
> protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have
> received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it
> from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its
> contents to anyone.

< Previous Next >