Re: [suse-security] root has no shell
  • From: Bob Vickers <bobv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:58:35 +0100 (BST)
Anders,

It depends whether /bin/false is in /etc/shells or not. If you look at the
info page for su you see that an unprivileged user cannot use -s if the
original shell is restricted, i.e. not present in /etc/shells.

I don't know why some systems have /bin/false in /etc/shells and others
don't. It might depend on some security setting somewhere, or just on
whether the administrator has modified it.

Bob