Re: [suse-security] YOU does not install Kernel Update
  • From: Anders Zachrison <andza@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:17:03 +0200
On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 05:49:14PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Freitag, 15. August 2003 16:13 schrieb Bob Vickers:
> > Matthias,
> >
> > You are quite right, YOU ought to be able to install critical patches.
> > The most likely explanation is that YOU was accessing a mirror site
> > that was not quite up-to-date. Does it still happen?
>
> You *is* up to date.
>
> I wrote that You in fact was up to date because it showed the
> kernel-update if you "click on 'include installed patches' (dt:
> installierte Patches einschlie├čen)".
>
> So You knows about the Kernel Update but doesn't show it until you click
> on "'include installed patches". If you now scroll down you find an entry
> similar to "kernel optimized for Athlon CPUs". If you then click on it,
> you see that there is a newer Version ( -100) available.

It's true that YOU knows about the update. On the two systems I have
running 8.2, YOU lists all kernel updates except for the kernel
installed (k_athlon and k_smp respectivly). I'd probably have found
them, had I done as you did...

> What I think is: You knows that I have got installed the first
> Kernel-update and because of that doesn't show the package k_athlon
> anymore. Some days ago a new k_athlon package has been released
> (2.4.20-100). But You doesn't show it because it thinks, k_athlon has
> been installed... So you have to find it manually and select update.

Not true in my case. On both machines, YOU downloads the new patch *if*
(when) you proceed...

So the conclusions are; YOU knows about the patch, downloads it and ask
if you want to install, _but_ it does not show the patch in the list of
available patches...

--
Anders Zachison

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein
< Previous Next >