Re: [suse-security] What's keeps changing my inet.d sequence
  • From: Arjen de Korte <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:15:43 +0200
On Thursday 22 May 2003 03:26, John Andersen wrote:

> Are you trying to be difficult or does it come naturally?

:-)

> If webmin won't start before the network is up, then accepting
> the default of starting it before will yield a 100% failure rate.

From the startup script of webmin-1.070-23:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: webmin
# Required-Start: $network $syslog
# Required-Stop: $network
# Default-Start: 2 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
### END INIT INFO

There. Webmin already depends on $network, so it will not be started before
the network startup script is run. If webmin fails to load with this setup
(because the network is not up, although the script to start it must have
been run before the webmin startup script) re-ordering likely will not help
and you have to verify in the script that the network is actually up. Moving
the webmin startup to somewhere later in the boot sequence will give a very
unstable system, since you then depend on the delay caused by other startup
scripts to allow for enough time for the network service to come up.Therefor,
it makes no sense at all to me to try to shuffle the order of scripts around.

> Verifying that network is up in the startup script (its probably already
> doing that) will,

No, it isn't. And that's where the problem lies...
--
51 N 25' 05.1" - 05 E 29' 13.3"
Key fingerprint - 66 4E 03 2C 9D B5 CB 9B 7A FE 7E C1 EE 88 BC 57