Re: [suse-security] SuSE Security Announcement: sendmail (SuSE-SA:2003:023)
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:33:26 +0200 (MEST)

> > SuSE Security Announcement
> >
> > Package: sendmail, sendmail-tls
> > Announcement-ID: SuSE-SA:2003:023
>
> When I patched and recompiled sendmail-8.11.3-106 (for SuSE 7.2)
> yesterday, I noticed that my sendmail binary was 50% smaller than the
> version supplied by SuSE (this applies to the current update, too);
> I *think* libssl and libcrypt are linked statically in the SuSE version -
> is this true? And if it is - why?

It's not these two, it's /usr/lib/libldap.a and /usr/lib/liblber.a that
are linked statically. The newer distributions are linked dynamically
agaist these libraries, the older ones have tradeoffs. The reason for the
static linking is based on dependencies between packages. Building the
packages can have circular dependencies, which makes it a bit difficult at
times...

> Martin

Roman.
--