Re: [suse-security] f-prot virusscanner for email ?
  • From: Sven Michels <sven@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:53:18 +0100
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 02:55:49PM +0100, Patrick Ahlbrecht wrote:

> Educating users may be something very uncompfortable (for both, you and them),
> but in the long run could save you a lot of trouble (like user A complaining
> about how long it takes to download the 30MB+ word document, via ISDN, user B
> sent to the team mailing list). After all, if you cannot disciple your users
> into not using a certain broken email app, how do you prevent them from
> setting up a second account with some freemailer and getting their share of
> malware through there?

Proxy's and Firewalls ;) But ok, you cannot stop users from doing
the wrong things with just technical options. Its right that you
SHOULD teach your users how to use the net. But its also a FACT
that many ppl disable virusscanners because of they slow down
the maschines. Surely you're able to setup rules which will prevent
doing this, but you increases the work for you/the admin. Putting
scanners on central communication points is imho a good idea:
you've just a few scanners you REALLY need to keep with actual
virus files, noone, besides you ;), can easily disable the scanner.
And another maybe not so unimportant point is the TOC:
have you ever bought licenses for 100+ Clients? ;)

I fully agree with you on the part that users should be teached
and told whats good and whats bad, because they cannot take the
virus scanner from work to home, but their brain ;)

I disagree with your point of view that content scanners are a
bad idea, but i see no point for flaming you :)

regards,
Sven

PS: exchanging malware is good, but its like steal the lolli
of a little child .. cause its soooo easy and colorful .. *d0h* ;)