harden_suse not maintained anymore?
  • From: Richard Ems <r.ems.mtg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:01:23 +0200
Hi list!

Is harden_suse not maintained anymore?

>From the SuSE Linux 8.1 distro:

# head /usr/share/doc/packages/harden_suse/CHANGES
v3.5 12.06.01 (gamma release)
* f*ck, I missed a / ... thanks to matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for

v3.4 10.06.01 (gamma release)
* wont disable some special SuSE 7.2 stuff: CRYPTO_FILESYSTEMS

v3.3 06.05.01 (gamma release)
* wont disable SNORT, ADSL, NESSUSD and many many other things
which either do not affect security or are security daemons

AND from /usr/lib/harden_suse/

line 4:
# Harden SuSE Linux 6.0 - 7.2, Perl Script by Marc Heuse
<marc@xxxxxxx> #

line 38:

lines 67-73:
if ($suse_version > $MAX_SUSE_VERSION) {
print STDERR "\007
WARNING: You seemed to have installed a SuSE version which is not yet
supported by this hardening script! (Verified to work with 5.3 up to
Try to get an update from or
Use at own risk!\n"

>From all this I conclude that it is not maintained anymore?
I used it to build a firewall and would like to use it again when
reinstalling it, but ...
Is Marc Heuse not working anymore at SuSE?
Is anyone maintaining his scripts?
At the last updated script is from
the 8th January 2002!
No errors/corrections/todo's anymore?

Thanks for any info's, Richard

Richard Ems
... e-mail: r.ems@xxxxxxx
... Computer Science, University of Hamburg

Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.