Re: [suse-security] Telnet Problem
  • From: Duane Kehoe <dkehoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 06:44:44 -0500

Stanley Caramoy wrote:

Hello....

I'm having a problem with my Linux Server (SuSE 7.0). Someone has tried to
login to my machine without username and password. He/She tried to login with
Telnet (from Windows) with extra commands behind the telnet command. He/She
can access my Linux Server without Username and Password.

How to make the security of my Linux Server better ?

Thanks...

First, turn off telnet, block the port, and remove the telnet server package. I suggest using SSH as it solves a lot of telnet issues and provides a non plain text solution as well as secure copy. Also there are SSH clients(I have yet to see the server side) for Windows. I have tried out a couple and found that penguinet ( www.siliconcurcus.com ) is the best despite being a payfor program.
--
Duane Kehoe dkehoe@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:dkehoe@xxxxxxxxx>