Re: [suse-security] dhcp
  • From: Roland Salzburger <roland.salzburger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:57:21 +0100
Elf,

> When i set up any machine on my network, it picks up an ip number from
> somewhere, but not from my domain. I assume whatever port dhcp works on is
> open, allowing it to pick up an ip from an outside dhcp server. Which
> port/protocol do i block to stop machines picking up this outside DHCP server?

I am not sure whether dhcp is a routable protocol in the first place; if it is
not, an outside machine can neither receive nor answer dhcp requests from your
machines. AFAIK dhcp clients broadcast their subnet only.

But why not use a port scanner to check for open ports and a network monitoring
software to see where the answers to the dhcp requests come from?

Regards,
Roland