Re: [suse-security] I forgot my root password
  • From: dproc@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:05:14 -0500
On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Steffen Dettmer wrote:

> > login as root
> > with no password, reset root password.
>
> This would offer a small window for attacker/scanners which could
> install a backdoor on networked systems. Don't do that except
> at home :)

I agree you must be careful, but with the right option to
lilo you can boot into runlevel 1. Am I right in thinking
that all network connections, and all ttys and gettys except
the local console, will be down?

I think this means you are ok.

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Kurt Seifried wrote:

> for a cdrom drive for most headless servers =). Another alternative is to
> boot from floppy and use rescue via network.

There are still rescue systems that run entirely from floppy
-- aren't there any suitable floppy images on the latest
distributions? I have a floppy of tomsrtbt in case the SuSE
boot floopy isn't enough.

dproc

< Previous Next >