RE: [suse-security] automatic backups over ssh/scp
  • From: Holger van Lengerich <gimli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:40:01 +0200 (CEST)
> That depends on the situation. The private keys are on the SSH client
> machine, so if that is more secure than the SSH server, the setup is more
> secure than with passwords being on the server.

I don't think so. In my opinion i doesn't matter if you store a plaintext
password or a ssh-key, which is not secured by an password. Once Mr. X get's
access to the file, he get's instantly access to the account which is guarded
by them.

> The use of public key authentication is definitely a lot safer against

No, I strongly disagree. By just using public key authentication you gain *no*
benefit for security and aren't instantly safer. If you use
public-key-mechanisms in a wrong way things get much worse! Especially ssh can
be abused in many ways to undermine any security barriers.

> You're right, though, that public key authentication isn't automagically
> good and safe and passwords bad and insecure. It's never that simple.

Hmm, I can agree to that. :-)

Regards,
Holger

Holger van Lengerich paderLinx - Neue Informationsmedien GmbH
Diplom-Informatiker Cheruskerstrasse 2b, 33102 Paderborn
Holger.van.Lengerich@xxxxxxxxxxxx Fon: +49 5251 8994 - 16 Fax: -20

List Navigation