Re: [suse-security] automatic backups over ssh/scp
  • From: Sven Michels <smichels@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 15:19:14 +0200
Lukas Feiler wrote:

> I want to do the following:
> backup all my sensitive date from my main server, pack it into one file
> and then get it transfered to my backup server.
>
> That's fine but my problem is that those two machines aren't in the same
> local network. So if I do not encrypt my data it would be (more or less)
> visible to everybody on the net (who has some hacking knowledge). But as I
> said this data is sensible (passwords, creditcards, ...)! So I thought of ssh
> or scp BUT how to automate this process of backing up? I would have to specify
> user AND password in my backup-script. How do specify a password for
> ssh / scp in a script??

for the quick'n dirty way, i've written a script that backup's a directory
to a backupserver via. scp and sshkey (without password).
On the backupserver, the shell just logs the user out (not secure anyway).
I'm working on a server/client solution: once the client have finished
the backup (tar) the server fetches the files and store it locally.
but thats currently in work ;)
you can use the other script:
http://bofh.intradat.com/backup-dir.sh
if you want, give some feedback ;)

maybe that helps you a little bit..

regards,
Sven
--
intraDAT AG http://www.intradat.com
Wilhelm-Leuschner-Strasse 7 Tel: +49 69-25629-0

< Previous Next >
List Navigation