Re: [suse-security] Marc's SuSEfirewall 4.4 together with 'kppp' ???
  • From: Sven Michels <smichels@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:51:26 +0100
Marko Kaening wrote:

> THE PROBLEM is that the firewall gets only started with the ip-up script
> which is executed by wvdial BUT NOT by kppp, since kppp manages everything
> itself. If I want to call SuSEfirewall as a normal user it doesn't work,
> of course...
aeh? tell me if i'm wrong but the ip-up script is called by the pppd?
i dont know much about kppp but i think it's only a gui for pppd nor?
If not maybe you can configure kppp to start the ip-up script after
connect?

> >From my experiments in 1) I concluded that the firewall startup-scripts
> only work if a connection via, say, ppp was already established. So what
> about my dial-up connection. I boot my machine and during that process the
> firewall starts to build-up, BUT since I am not connected yet, since I
> only want to surf or read emails for a short time, the firewall isn't
> properly installed...
sounds like a hostlookup problem for me? maybe you've entered some hostnames
(mailserver from your isp?) and these canot resolved without a ppp connection.

just my 2cents

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

Sven Michels
Network Operating Center / Infrastructure

intraDAT AG
Wilhelm Leuschner Strasse 7 u. 9-11
60329 Frankfurt / Germany
Tel: +49 69 256 29 - 0
Fax: +49 69 256 29 - 256
http://www.intradat.com
Besuchen Sie uns vom 22.03.01-28.03.01 auf
der CeBIT in Hannover, Halle 3 Stand E45