Re: [suse-security] Intrusion detection?
  • From: Thomas Biege <thomas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:28:26 +0100 (CET)
> > At my home network, I have a OpenBSD Router, which has one
>
> Gasp. I am shocked (I should write the headline "Suse sekurity guru sez OpenBSD
> is da bomb" (it's a joke, for readers that are humour impaired ;).

:-)
It's a 486 with 24 MB RAM. Much too less power for modern
Linux distributions. And I dislike the Linux packetfilter
code, I prefer ipfilter.

> > If you are looking for a IDS for your company, then
> > I would advise you to the following book:
> > Proctor; The practical Intrusion Detection Handbook; Prentice Hall
>
> Another good one is:
> Network Intrusion Detection. An Analyst's Handbook.
> ISBN - 0-7357-1008-2

I really dislike this book. It's a waste of time.

> > There are two other IDS books, that I have listed in my
> > 'Book Review' table at my home page (www.suse.de/~thomas)
>
> Hmm yeah you only gave the above title 3 stars?

Jupp. This book has no real and needful information about
today IDS reseach or IDS products. I'm sad about every
euro I payed for that book. Maybe I'll use it for cleaning
the cage of my girlfriends guinea pigs. ;-)

> BTW that wasn't my orgasmatron
> (belonged to someone else, honest).

Oh, I always thought it was your's. ;-)

Bye,
Thomas
--
Thomas Biege, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaeckerstr. 10, 90443 Nuernberg
E@mail: thomas@xxxxxxx Function: Security Support & Auditing