Re: [suse-security] SuSEfirewall
  • From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:47:26 +0100
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 21:25 +0100, Ulrich Schneider wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> my SuSEfirewall version 2.6 (I thinkt it`s 2.6) SuSE Linux 7.0
> produced the following messages:
>
> root@compulrich:/home/sure > /sbin/SuSEfirewall
> /sbin/SuSEfirewall: split-brained.: command not found
> /sbin/SuSEfirewall: host/network.: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> /sbin/SuSEfirewall: dmz/intern: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> /sbin/SuSEfirewall: addesses!: command not found
> root@compulrich:/home/sure >

You could try "file /sbin/SuSEfirewall" to learn what kind of
file it is. It's probably a shell script or done in any other
scripting language. Read the interpreter's documentation on how
to hunt down scripting errors.

If it's a Bourne shell script, do something like
sh -x /sbin/SuSEfirewall 2>&1 | less
or alternatively use what you learn from reading "man script".
When config files get "source"d, wrong settings or unbalanced
delimiters and other formatting errors can cause this kind of
error.

> Does everone know, why this message appears. I`ver configured
> the firewall as described in the EXAMPLES file

To exclude problems introduced by your adjustment, try some
"generic" config instead of something you have customized. When
this runs fine, eyeball your modifications carefully.

BTW this shouldn't be a security related thing (no matter what
the script is good for). It's plain scripting and hence basic
UNIX users' knowledge. You might want to discuss this in general
UNIX lists.

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx