Re: [suse-security] passwd
  • From: Egan <egan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:57:07 -0500
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:07:30 -0500, Egan <egan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:45:41 +0100, Grzegorz Prokopski
><prokopsk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/modules.html
>> You can find there pam_mysql, pam_pwdb and other modules,
>> keeping Your servers happy even with 10000's of users.

>Last night however, somewhere I read that pwdb was slow. I'll have to
>try and find that again.

Now I know why they said that.

They were talking about RADIUS clients authenticating via PAM pwdb,
and in the SuSE pwdb docs I just read, pam_pwdb is nothing more than a
wrapper to the /etc/passwd file! Arrggh!

That's what I'm trying to avoid. If /etc/passwd is not a database,
then each lookup must be a simple linear search.

Maybe pam_mysql is a possibility, but I've not had time to get mysql
running yet.

Egan

< Previous Next >