Re: [suse-security] list moderation, message mangling (was: TIS FWTK)
  • From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:10:51 +0100
On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 11:20 +0100, Peter van den Heuvel wrote:

> One final remark. Moderation is a good thing, but please don't
> just do it to ban things. A simple classification with some
> tags like [basic] [home networks] [small organization] [large
> organization] [theory] [usage] or something like it would be of
> much more added value.

NO, PLEASE DON'T!

Sorry to shout out this loud, but I really feel strong about
this. The "[suse-security]" subject mangling is already bad
enough when your message (it's just what I had a look at right
now) has 9 - in words: nine - hooks to recognize it's a
suse-security article. Go visit the archive and see how easily
this one is broken and doubled, tripled, ... (the catchword is
RFC2047, I guess -- or better put ignoring it). I consider this
bloat and harmful since it only eats up space for no added
information -- in the opposite it even *hides* the really
important part: look at your mail folder with all the

[suse-security] SuSE Security Announcement: $PACKAGE

messages in it. You still have to open them all to learn what
they are about, since the actual info starts at character
position 45 and way off screen. :( And now imagine you get them
via -announce ... I really *hate* this mangling and understand
it's just done to hold the hands of the poorly equipped in terms
of functional mail handling software. I consider it a dumb down
approach. Let the subscribers be free to categorize and mangle
the messages by themselves, but don't cripple the messages for
those who want to get them the way they're written! Crippling
things and have the users decripple it back is not what I would
call efficient, either.

As for the categories: Who should tack them on the message? And
how long do they fit the message content? (Think of how long
"long message" or "Question" suits, for instance. That's why
they are misplaced in a subject and belong in the message's top
at maximum.) A subject simply describing what the message is
about would suffice - and is what the subject is meant for at
first.

Email might be an old mechanism in comparison to other computer
stuff, but it definitely has the mechanisms for being efficient.
If people only would demand more functional software than just
good looking or "easy to use" (how long? especially after
learning and growing) one. And if only they would use given and
existing mechanisms instead of pushing things to where they don't
work any longer.

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx