Re: [suse-security] mail relaying, SuSE 7.0
  • From: Herman Knief <herman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:59:44 -0800 (PST)
Actually, yes sendmail can be made resaonably secure... but if you want
performance, sendmail is really not the choice you want to go with.
Postfix and qmail both have much smaller memory footprints on the system
and are more efficient in terms of cpu time. To give you an example... I
run a mail list that has some 240k subscribers. Running sendmail, this
machine would routinely hit load averages of 30 or higher. Switching to
Postfix, the box seldom goes higher than a load of 6!

I've used sendmail for a long time... in fact starting with version 4. I
know how to configure it, and on small systems, it is just fine. But for
larger industrial use... you either need an large industrial computer or a
lighter MTA.

- Herman