Re: [suse-security] mail relaying, SuSE 7.0
  • From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:43:47 -0700
> I agree that a lot of people switch to qmail or postfix because of
> supposed improved security. But when I ask them which features
> specifically, I either get a feature that sendmail has as well or no
> answer at all. I've been trying out postfix lately, and while I have to
> admit that the configuration is a little easier, I haven't seen any
> huge other advantages yet. I don't know qmail well enough to say anything
> specific about that, but I have used sendmail for a long time now, and it
> has served me well.

I think sendmail supports it now, but postfix supports using databases as the
config files, i.e. virtualusertable is in a MySQL DB, meaning changing it on the
fly is trivial. Also one HUGE advantage in postfix and qmail is that they only
run a small component as root, so if there is a buffer overflow/etc it is less
likely to be fatal, whereas sendmail is a huge blob of run as root code.

> Stefan

-Kurt