Re: [suse-security] Mail permissions for local users?
  • From: Rainer Link <link@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:26:41 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Volker Tanner wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:02 +0100, Andrew Hougie wrote:

> > When trying to send mail from pine as a user from the linux machine, I got
> > an "insufficient permission" message which I resolved by chmod 777
> > /var/spool/mqueue. I now get reminders of this "warning world writable".
>

> [...]
> Do you use AMAVIS as Virus checker?
> The problem occurs with sendmail+amavis, for amavis changes the
> permissions procmail is started with.
> There is a patch available at the amavis homepage, bug shall be
> fixed in next release.

Uh? It seems that you know more than I do :)

Anyway, I wouldn't call it a bug in AMaViS, although we describe this in
the file BUGS. Here's the snippet from it ...

* depending on your system, subprocess is run as the UID of the local
receipient (not 'root'). Calling your local delivery program (usually
procmail) then might have insufficient privileges to deliver it any
further.
FIX: set an "o"-flag in /etc/sendmail.cf

Mlocal, P=/usr/sbin/scanmails, F=olsDFMAw5:/|@SPfhn, S=10/30,
R=20/40,
T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
A=scanmails -Y -a $h -d $u

Hint: This usually happens on SuSE Linux >=6.0

Hint: If this still does not work, *remove* the "S" flag, too! The
Mlocal
entry on my system looks like this:

Mlocal, P=/usr/sbin/scanmails, F=olsDFMAw5:/|@qPfhn9, S=10/30,
R=20/40
T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
A=scanmails -Y -a $h -d $u

Note: "root" must be in alias to an user account otherwise you will
still
get the error message Insufficent privileges to deliver to "root".

The last Mlocal entry is from my system :) (well, I use the --enable-relay
stuff, of course, which does not "interfere" with procmail any more, as
a different approach is used and which can scan incoming or relayed mail,
too).

Btw, we run three public mailing lists for AMaViS
(http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=6006). So please use them instead
of posting AMaViS problems in suse-security. Thanks.

HTH

best regards,
Rainer Link
--