Re: [suse-security] DialUp with Firewall
  • From: dproc@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 06:05:51 -0400
On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

What did I miss when I feel you could easily take the newly
assigned address from one of ip-up's parameters? From reading
"man 8 pppd ipppd" (... /etc/ppp/ip-up ... "It is executed with
the parameters interface-name tty-device speed local-IP-address
remote-IP-address") I get that there shouldn't be any need for
these kind of hacks. Maybe this was just too easy ...

Yes, very easy. The man page is right. Here is the start of my
ip-up. Only the last 3 lines are mine. Of course I didn't read the
man page either - I got the hint from reading the nice SuSE script! I
read How-Tos to make things work, and only read man pages when things
break. BTW by adapting the SuSE script using these parameters, I was
able to use SAMBA to connect a Windows laptop to my Workstation by ppp
over a serial cable, and still freely bring my modem link to the
Internet up and down (I was too mean to buy an ethernet card.)
Yours, dproc

#!/bin/sh

# (c) '97, S.u.S.E. GmbH, Fuerth, Germany
# Klaus Franken <kfr@xxxxxxx>
# 25.02.98
#
# Remo Behn <sray@xxxxxxx>
# 18.07.98

BASENAME=`basename $0`
INTERFACE=$1
DEVICE=$2
SPEED=$3
LOCALIP=$4
REMOTEIP=$5

# dproc May 19, 1999 for troubleshooting
now=`date`
echo "ip-up: The ip-up script ran at $now for $BASENAME connected by $INTERFACE
$DEVICE at $SPEED for $LOCALIP here and $REMOTEIP at the other end of the
link." >> /home/dproc/ipuplog

< Previous Next >