Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-security-announce (5 mails)

< Previous Next >
[security-announce] New Maintenance and Security Update Notifications
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:14:46 +0200

Hi folks,

We have started some weeks ago to supply better maintenance
and security update notifications, over various media.

These notifications will probably in the future replace the Security
Summary Reports (in a digested form).

The naming tag of the notifications is: (open)SUSE-xU-YEAR:UNIQUENR-INDEX

xU signified the type of the update:
- SU means "Security Update"
- RU means "Recommended Update"
- OU means "Optional Update"
- YU means "YaST Online Update" (for Package Management Stack updates)

The mails are currently in "plain text" format.

The method of delivery of these notifications differs between the
Enterprise and openSUSE products:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise products

* Novell Customer Center support

The page you can change this on is the E-Mail notification page:
https://secure-www.novell.com/center/regadmin/jsps/notification_app.jsp

Set "Patches" and/or "Security Bulletins" mail delivery to "Immediate"
(from "Daily" or "Weekly").

* Twitter: Follow @SUSE_SLE_Update

* Custom Feeds (after logging in to Hermes with your Novell account
to https://hermes.opensuse.org/ )
- select "expert interface" on the bottom of the page.
- select "New subscription"
- create a feed of "SUSE SLE Maintenance Update Notifications".
- add the type and filtering you need.
You can add various filtering, like by product, category, rating, etc.
You can create multiple feeds from this source, with different filters.

(Hermes can also generate a RSS feed you can poll without being logged
in, you need to copy and paste the feed from your "My Feeds" page.)

EXAMPLE ONLY feed (under my account, so it might go away) of all
SLE updates, unfiltered:
web: https://hermes.opensuse.org/feeds/63186
rss: https://hermes.opensuse.org/feeds/63186.rdf

- openSUSE products
* Subscribe to the opensuse-updates@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.

* Twitter: Follow @openSUSE_Update

* In openSUSE Hermes public feeds of those updates can be found on:

https://hermes.opensuse.org/feeds

Here you can follow RSS feeds (openSUSE Maintenance All Updates and
openSUSE Maintenance Security Updates)

* Custom Feeds (after logging in to Hermes with your Novell account
https://hermes.opensuse.org/ )
- select "expert interface" on the bottom of the page.
- select "New subscription"
- create a feed of "openSUSE Maintenance Updates Announcemens"
- add the type and filtering that you need...
You can add various filtering, like product, category, rating, etc.

Ciao, Marcus