Re: [opensuse-ruby] RFC: Have 1.8 and 1.9 gems in one package
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:16:20 +0100
Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

As I have a high interest in getting ruby 1.9 (as default ruby) into
factory to replace the soon out of maintenance 1.8, darix invited me
to work out a plan how to have gems build for 1.8 and 1.9.

So I renamed ruby to ruby18 and added a ruby package that defines
the default ruby. With this I rebuilt all gems that I have installed
on my workstation as 1.9 version.

But that doesn't solve the 1.8 backward problem - and while it doesn't
sound _soo_ important, I already found the lack of a way to test the 1.8
stack in comparision when porting quite bothering :)

So I changed the gem2rpm template to output always two ruby versions.
ruby18-gem-gettext and ruby19-gem-gettext. This _kind_ of works, but
both these gems install stuff in %_bindir and they conflict (other files
are in ruby version specific dirs).

I see several options:
1. Most of the executables are just wrappers for the real stuff
happening in ruby modules, so just package the executables for the
default ruby version.
2. add a suffix to the non-default ruby versions
3. add a suffix to all executables and provide update-alternative hooks
all around
4. even more complex stuff :)

Well, it looks like deja-vu. I see similar discussion for python3. Well I think
that we can inspire.

I think that we should use 1. as default as from binary you want to have it
working ( I don't care if a use library liba or libb as long as it working ).
With exception where it make sense ( e.g. generators of code which could be
different for different versions ).

Josef

The mid term goal is to have it clear from the binary rpm name which
ruby version it is for - ruby 1.8 will be around for a while.

If you want to see my state, check http://s.kulow.org/4