Re: [opensuse-ruby] BleakHouse in ruby anywhere on openSUSE?
  • From: "Tim Serong" <tserong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:11:56 -0600
On 10/29/2010 at 05:36 AM, Marcus Rueckert <darix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2010-10-21 06:45:08 -0600, Tim Serong wrote:
Can anyone tell me if BleakHouse[1] is packaged anywhere on openSUSE?
I note a commented-out define to enable it in the ruby spec file, and
a note in the changelog from 2007-12-06 that support for building
with bleak_house was added, but this requires the "ruby-bleakhouse"
package, which doesn't seem to exist (hopefully I'm just missing
something obvious).

I was planning on shipping with because the original patch had no
significant overhead. but right before i wanted to enable the patch in
factory upstream changed it so that the overhead became significant.

nowadays you would need a paralle ruby installation for that.
but i didnt package that yet.

I've experimentally packaged it (see home:tserong/rubygem-bleak_house),
but TBH I think "that way lies madness". It seems to work on SLE 11
SP1, and builds on SLE 11, SLE 11 SP1 and openSUSE 11.2, but not on
11.3 or Factory. This is because the gem itself includes a copy of
the Ruby source (ruby-1.8.7-p174.tar.bz2) which obviously doesn't have
any of our patches applied from devel:languages:ruby/ruby. So while
it does run and give you a leak report, if you use it, you're running
against a slightly different version of Ruby than you ordinarily would
be. I'd need to make it pull in our ruby srpm (or something like that
during build) to correct this.

Also, I had to patch the gem a bit, which I'm not wildly happy about.
In home:tserong/rubygem-bleak_house see:

make-configure-newer-than-configure.in.patch
nasty-hack-to-fix-bindir.patch

Do you think there's any point pursuing this further?

in the past i just ripped out the bleakhouse patch from the gem and made
a 2nd version of our ruby package. if you want i can look into that
again next week

I'm not personally in a wild hurry - I probably won't be leak hunting
myself any time this week or next; if you get a chance it would be
nice, but no pressure :)

Alternately, can anyone recommend any other good memory leak checkers?

memprof [1] comes to mind. but it doesnt work with external debugsymbols
yet. :/ I asked upstream about it already but I havent seen anything
about supporting that in the release notes so far.

Looks like the i586 build is busted. I get:

gcc -I. -I/usr/include/libdwarf -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i586-linux -I.
-DHAVE_YAJL_YAJL_GEN_H -DHAVE_ELF -DHAVE_DWARF -D_ARCH_i586_
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -fPIC -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -fmessage-length=0 -O2
-Wall
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector -funwind-tables
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables
-g -g -fno-strict-aliasing -fPIC -c memprof.c
In file included from memprof.c:22:
arch.h:9:2: error: #error "Unsupported architecture! Cannot continue
compilation."

I haven't looked at this in any detail yet though.

only x86_64 is supported atm. iirc. can you test on that arch?

Yes, I can - I have a couple of bare metal x86_64 systems I can use.
It just happens that at the time I was testing on a 32 bit VM, because
it already had all the software I needed installed.

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Serong <tserong@xxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Clustering Engineer, OPS Engineering, Novell Inc.