[opensuse-project] Standing For the Board
Hello Everyone,

I figured I'd get the ball rolling. I'm announcing my intent to run for the
Board in this years Board Elections

I'd hope most of you know me already - I've been using SUSE Linux since 2003
and contributing to openSUSE since the Project started.

I've got my hands dirty in many aspects of the project, from testing,
packaging, working on branding and artwork, to providing support on IRC. I
currently work mostly in the GNOME, Marketing, and Ambassador teams, and have
previously worked on the Artwork team.

I'm an active Ambassador, who regularly attends conferences where I do my best
to to both evangelise about our great project, but also gather ideas and
feedback on how we could improve. I've been involved in the efforts to reshape
the Ambassador programme into something more useful for openSUSE

My current 'day job' is as a Systems Manager for a college in the south of the
UK which uses a great deal of Linux and FOSS technologies, including openSUSE.
Through that job, I currently hold a Board Member position of the TTP User
Group, which consists of sysadmins of hundreds of Colleges internationally, all
using SUSE/Novell/NetIQ products.

If I am elected to the board, my intention is to be an enthusiastic and active
Board member.
I want to see our community grow in both numbers and activity. We need to be
more vocal about our strengths, and most honest about our weaknesses.
I think we need to improve communication across the community, and I'd like to
see the Board take a more active role in resolving any disputes.

I'd also like to see the Board stepping up to engage the community in helping
out to address deficiencies or weaknesses in the project. I don't want to see
the board starting to meddle in the affairs of development, but I do think
situations like the delays to 12.1 could have been helped by having a board
that is willing to speak up and call for the community to help out.

So when the Ballots open in a few weeks, please consider voting for me, I
promise to do my best if I am elected.

Richard Brown
ilmehtar on IRC
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sysrich