Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Thoughts on the UEFI fee?
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:37:14 -0700
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Malcolm <malcolm_lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:05:50 +0000 (UTC)
Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:33:56 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

1. Who owns this issue?
2. What steps need to happen before it is closed?
3. When can we expect closure?

The community needs answers - at the very least, names of the
decision makers. See Distrowatch Weekly this week
(http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120611) for the remarks
of Chris Smart, the man behind the Kororaa distribution.

Unfortunately, we don't really have anyone behind anything, we (the
community) have to work out a solution for ourselves.

One question that comes to mind (don't know why it didn't before) -
is there something that openSUSE might leverage in the agreement
between SUSE and Microsoft?

Seems like exactly the sort of thing the technical agreement might be
leveraged to address.

Jim

AFAIK openSUSE needs to take the lead as they are upstream ;)

Might be time to start a thread in the Factory ML to consider the
technical aspects?

Maybe a forum poll to see how many have UEFI bootable systems or plan on
buying hardware to run the other OS....

Note I'm running UEFI boot with elilo here with openSUSE and SLED, just
haven't enabled the scary BIOS screen to enable the secure
firmware side....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.31-0.9-default

I'd have to go read through the Fedora postings again, but as I
understand it, the Fedora community and the Red Hat corporation
*collaborated* to forge a solution *and* defend it in the press
against the inevitable howls of people who don't understand the
pragmatics of either running a business or developing open source
software. ;-) I think that's what needs to happen here - the openSUSE
community and Attachmate / SUSE corporate need to collaborate on a
solution. I'm way down here on the food chain and I have to trust
those with the experience and authority to come up with something that
will work for me.

The fact of the matter from my position is that if my laptop dies and
I'm forced to buy a new Windows 8 laptop, at the moment I will be
unable to install openSUSE on it. It's about a year old and I
typically only get two years out of them because I buy low-end ones.
So Linux probably has a year to get their act together for *me*, but
for the world at large, I think Linux needs to be UEFI-ready as soon
as Windows 8 hardware starts shipping in volume.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.