Re: [opensuse-project] Thoughts on the UEFI fee?
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:04:14 -0500
On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 16:31 +0200, oldcpu wrote:
Pony up the $99 would be my view also, although that worries me. Can
be
certain this will be a one time $99 fee and not an 'in for a penny,
in
for a pound' type rabbit hole ?

Lee

I'm not fully versed in this topic, but from what I've skimmed through
out there, it seems that the $99 wouldn't be a one-time thing, or I'd
say just pay it and let's get on with our lives.

If I'm reading correctly, kernel variations and even customized images
created with SUSEStudio might be affected. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm
reading it right, this is a $99 tax on anyone who wants to create custom
images.

That said, if we can't get around it, I guess we have to figure out how
to deal with it head on. That's what we should be discussing here on
the Project ML. How to "react" to this from a political or social
position. But if there's an actual technical solution, then it probably
should be discussed on -Factory ML.

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Project