[opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 16:09:17 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 16 May 2012 14:11:26 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:

Hi,

Le mercredi 16 mai 2012, à 03:04 +0000, Jim Henderson a écrit :
3. For older bugs, (such as on 10.3-11.3, which there are still open
bugs on), a determination needs to be made as to whether the current
supported releases have those issues, and if they do, the bugs need to
be updated. If they don't, then the bugs need to be flagged in an
appropriate way.

In GNOME Bugzilla, we do have a OBSOLETE resolution. I think that would
help in such cases.

I like this idea in concept. I'm not sure what it would take to get a
new resolution added because of the constraints that were in place when I
left Novell a year ago and the complexity of this particular bugzilla
implementation.

If I can track down who owns it now, I'll see if I can find out. I still
have some internal contacts who are indirectly involved in bugzilla
(unless someone else here is closer to the bugzilla implementation team).

I'm happy to invest a few days to look at all the bugs and move the ones
I feel are still valid for Factory to 12.2, but before doing that, I'd
like us to know what's the right way to proceed for the bugs we don't
care about.

I think the use of an OBSOLETE resolution is something that would be
useful, but we have to be careful in actually using it - obviously there
are some fixes (security in particular) where backporting a fix is
generally considered a good idea. So we need to be extremely clear that
the reason it's flagged obsolete is because (a) it's been resolved in a
later release, and (b) a decision has been made (and that decision should
at least be explained in the comments, IMHO) to not backport because of
the effort/impact/whatever.

Comes back to being aware that our audience isn't always a technical
audience.

I'd really love to have a OBSOLETE resolution, so we could just
mass-close those bugs with a comment saying "We believe this bug is most
likely fixed in openSUSE 12.1 (or Factory). If you can still reproduce
the bug there, please reopen the bug and move it to openSUSE 12.1."
Alternatively, we can do a mass NEEDINFO-ing of all the bugs, and wait a
few weeks before closing the bugs that didn't get a reply...

Jim

--
Jim Henderson