Re: [opensuse-project] Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 11:46:58 -0500
On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 17:07 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
I doubt that this has much practical significance due to the
personnel overlap. The overwhelming majority of development work
on the core distribution is already done by community members
employed by SUSE, so this whole upstream - downstream distinction
is more of a theoretical nature.

[*] e.g. ~80% of all changes to all Factory packages in 2010 and
2011 are authored by SUSE employees
--
Guido Berhoerster

That's probably true statistically and probably will stay that way for
some time. But I have witnessed many times over the years someone
complaining about $something and when we tell them to contribute to a
fix (knowing fully well that person has the capabilities) the person
would respond with "that's SUSE's job, not the community's!"

You and I both know that openSUSE is not "SUSE's job" but everyone's job
in the community. And openSUSE is billed as a "community-driven
project." As long as we kept saying basis over the years, it was hard
to convey and dispell such myths.

With a simple word change "upstream" coupled by legitimate actions to
demonstrate it, over time hopefully that attitude and perception will
change. I believe the word change marks a significant step and not
simply semantics, and I think what AJ and team are attempting to do also
marks a significant step. Perhaps a year or two from now that 80%
statistic will change. Not by decreasing SUSE contributions, but by
increasing community contributions.

We can only hope and strive for that.

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Project