Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Contact?

On 2012-04-30 00:21, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:03:06 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I'll see that we get a sticky posted on the openSUSE forums so those
who aren't aware are aware. OK?

That is perhaps excessive :-)

Which forum would you suggest that be put in? When we announced the
last outage, at least one user said the announcement was in "literally
the last place he would have looked" (the forum announcements forum,
ironically).

The announcement group should be the right place, I think, to tell
existing nntp users to make sure they are using the correct server. New
users should read the faq and get the correct one first time.

Ah, sorry, you mean the outage? The outage should have been announced in
that group once, that should have been enough as well. In the
announcement group of all the news feeds carried by a server.

In this instance, the address change was in the FAQ, but clearly the
FAQ is the wrong place for frequently asked questions (?), because you
hadn't been up there to note that the address had changed.

Actually, I had. But perhaps you don't remember that once I asked if I
should migrate, and the answer, AFAIR, was no, no need.

Remember that switching nntp servers is a pain, because often it means
that posts get reloaded, and the client forgets which posts were read,
which replied to, etc. It is a royal pain.

Using leafnode as intermediate it has been less of a pain, but I have
perhaps hundreds of duplicate mails, all have not been detected.

If we post it via NNTP in a forum, then it'll be clearly visible for
about 3 weeks, but as it ages, it'll fall further and further down the
active threads list, until NNTP clients don't even pick it up because
the messages' age is too old.

So....where do you suggest we make such an announcement where we know
that everyone will see it so we don't have to go through this again
in 3 months? :)

It should not happen :-)

It is enough to tell once to migrate. And perhaps add in the faq "not to
use the other server".

The FAQ was changed, but when a change is done people that read it before
remember what it said; thus we have to be told to forget the old info and
switch servers; that's the missing info in the faq.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)