[opensuse-project] Re: Contact?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:33:51 +0000 (UTC)

On 2012-04-29 23:04, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:48:14 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Is it still documented as such today?

No, but obviously one is not reading the same doc several times a year.
Likewise, the novell only forums are distributed by the
forum.opensuse.org nntp server.

That's something you people are forgetting, that all nntp servers here
carry all forums. Like the netiq and suse forums inside
forum.opensuse.org.

No, I didn't forget. But it's been documented as being
forums.opensuse.org since October 1, 2010. I went back and checked.

In any event, now you know that there is a separate address for
forums.opensuse.org that you should be using for NNTP access to the
openSUSE forums....I suggest using that.

I'm using that already for some hours, but that doesn't excuse not
warning users of the other system, with a method they read.

I've taken your feedback to the people responsible.

Given that it was changed on October 1, 2010, I don't think it's
unreasonable to not post a notification that the *Novell* forums' NNTP
interface was going to be offline in the openSUSE forums. But I've
passed your feedback along regardless.

In the future, you now know that if you experience problems, you should
check to make sure you're using the proper server. While the two
involved NNTP servers are used to back each other up, the intention is
that openSUSE and SUSE users use forums.opensuse.org/forums.suse.com and
the Novell/NetIQ users use forums.novell.com.

That's why it's documented that way.

Nor it is excuse for the contact page not appearing in the search
results of our search - and that is indeed a problem for this project
mail list.
I had to use google to find it.

Given that the change was made 2 years ago, it seems reasonable to assume
that if you're accessing the *Novell* forums, you'll look on the *Novell*
pages, not the openSUSE pages.

But whatever. Now you know. TPTB have been informed.

Have a nice day,

Jim

--
Jim Henderson