[opensuse-project] Has openSUSE as a project approached Valve re the possible upcoming Steam for Linux?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 09:26:30 +0200
Steam for Linux has been floated a few times starting int 2010. A few
days ago Phoronix posted some information about how far Valve has come
with producing a Steam client for Linux, including showing a port of
Left for Dead 2 running natively on Ubuntu.

Today I spotted this:
http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/04/canonical-in-touch-with-valve-to-ensure.html?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UbuntuVibes+%28Ubuntu+Vibes%29&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

and this made me wonder... are we (as a project) also approaching
Valve in some official capacity to ensure that this Steam for Linux
client works "perfectly" on openSUSE too?

Gamers are a huge driver in the adoption of technology, and a market
segment we can't really afford to ignore. If this Steam for Linux
client is released and is dependent on some library that is built only
for Ubuntu, or is only released in DEB package format... well, we WILL
be left behind in the rush.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.1 x86_64, KDE 4.8.2