Re: [opensuse-project] bugreports
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:55:24 +0200
C wrote:

This isn't unique to openSUSE. Most project Bugzillas are
overwhelmed. Small number of people trying to deal with a large
workload. Once the bug reporting system is overwhelmed, it's hard to
keep up... or recover (I'm thinking of the OOo Bugzilla as an example
where there were bugs open for 4, 5, or even 6 years or more).

Just some thoughts that are passing through my mind...

Is anyone assigned to triage all incoming bug reports or do we rely on
an automated system? Does someone take the time to actually read each
bug report and validate it in some way before it's dumped on a
maintainer's doorstep... make sure it has useful information, log
files etc?

Yes, I think someone is assigned - every now and then, I see reports
being re-assigned by "kkzhang@xxxxxxxx" whom I assume is part of a
triage team.

Does anyone comb through the (old) open bug reports after a release
and flag them?

Judging by my list of open reports, no.

Does every bug report have a milestone set? A realistic milestone?
What happens if the milestone passes and the bug is still open?

Expected-Time-To-Repair? Not that I'm aware of, but it might be nice
for a reporter to set a kind of deadline, then have the report closed
automatically as "CANTFIX::TIMEOUT". (or something appropriate for
that situation).

Are there bug reports open for more than some arbitrary period (say 6
months, and yes, I know, there are bugs that have been open for
several years.. it's a rhetoric question)? Can someone wade through
the bug reports older than X months (for some value of X), and for any
that are not obviously in process, ping the reporter (or maybe owner)
to see if they are still valid/required (without it becoming a
spam-fest for the maintainer)?

I do occasionally do this for my own reports, but really only the ones I
depend on.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.2°C)