Re: [opensuse-project] Including or not Java binaries in OBS
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:04:06 +0200
Pascal Bleser wrote:
On 2012-04-20 15:58:21 (+0200), Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
and you probably don't even know what license that random dump of
bundled jars has.

That is indeed quite a task but from more than 10 years of day
to day experience of coding with java (and lots of open source
java libraries and bits), I can say that the set is large (as
said, there is a huge amount of open source software in java,
and a high degree of reuse of libraries), but it's not totally
random. What I mean to say, I guess, is that you keep running
into mostly the same jars.

How large is that common set? Maybe having the top most
used jars would help reduce the amount of extra jars an applications
pcakager needs to care for.

[...]
The same accounts for non-java stuff too though, you can run
into libraries written in C that say "GPL" on freshmeat (or
freshcode, as it's called now) but effectively has different
copyrights in individual source code files in its archive.

That isn't nearly as common as with java I guess and we have the
automatic licence digger in Factory to detect such bastards.

Calling it non-free is the closest match.

Sorry, are you saying the Apache Software License or the
GPL/LGPL is not considered "oss" any more?
Surely you're not.

Well, the random samples I've seen recently had proprietary .jars
bundled in software that said it's GPL. I don't know what the result
of such a bundling is, but I as user feel fooled if that's called
free software. So even if an application claims it's GPL but crucial
components of it are proprietary you can't put that into an 'oss'
repo. Maybe it's even illegal to put something like that anywhere.
Only a lawyer can tell but IANAL.

cu
Ludwig

--