Re: [opensuse-project] One more reason for having a foundation
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:07:48 +0100
On 2012-01-29 23:38:54 (+0530), Manu Gupta <manugupt1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today as I was discussing on the -marketing channel with you a few
people around. I dont know if its a brilliant idea or not but if we
have a foundation we can certainly encourage startups. Perhaps such

I don't know. I would even say that if we're honest, no one
knows, actually. Maybe it would encourage some startups (or
"smaller businesses", rather, to generalize a bit), maybe it
wouldn't.

sort of behaviour lead to future sponsorships and better technical
engagements too.

Perhaps, or perhaps not.

The question is what we would like sponsors to be sponsoring:
- money, on a regular basis: very difficult, there needs to be a
precise set of things they would get in return, because a
regular budget would mean a ROI plan on their side

- money, on an occasional basis: much more feasible, e.g. for
the openSUSE conference, as it would generally also be easier
to give them something in return (e.g. sponsorship visibility,
"vendor talks", a stand, ... -- at least in case of a
conference)

- hardware/hosting: that would be very helpful for a few use
cases, although not that many right now

- paid contributors: that would probably be the most helpful
option, have qualified people who can work full time (or part
time) on contributing to the projects -- it is also often
easier to find such contributors, as they typically have a
direct interest in that work (e.g. it's what B1 is doing, from
what I can see)

Out of the above, not everything is influenced by the presence
of a foundation or not:
- money, on a regular basis: yes, a foundation _might_ help, as
other businesses would most probably feel more comfortable
giving money to a foundation than to SUSE/Attachmate (which
probably isn't even possible in the first place) -- but that
alone won't bring any sponsors, there is a lot more work to
do, such as actively poking potential sponsors, "selling" the
idea to them, stay in touch, again and again; it also requires
a lot of care because you can't just offer them anything in
return: e.g. a seat on the board because they're a sponsor
seems unacceptable to me

- money, on an occasional basis: that's difficult to say: for
some, it's easier to pay a foundation than a business, but on
the other hand, a business such as SUSE has a lot more options
in place

- hardware/hosting: I don't think having a foundation makes a
difference there: it would be perfectly feasible for a
business to sponsor e.g. Packman with hosting

- paid contributors: a foundation doesn't change anything

It's certainly a lot more complicated than "have a foundation =>
have sponsors".

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser