Re: [opensuse-project] Membership
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 23:29:14 +0100
On 2012-01-25 16:43:02 (-0500), Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
I am suggesting that the conditions for loss of membership are not
sufficient. As briefly discussed in the meeting today we have about
500 or so members. Also in a recent meeting it was suggested that we
have a large contingent of non active members. This would then
explain why we end up with only 200 and some odd votes of 500
members for the board elections.
[...]
I realize I am proposing more work for the membership committee,
sorry. However, I would hope that this is not too much of a burden.
With maybe 300 or fewer active members there would be on average
less than 1 verification e-mail per day sent. In addition this is
spread out based on anniversary date of membership, thus the
additional verification should be small.

Yes, but we should also take more care about the membership
committee. It didn't work that great when the board was doing it
(was slow), and isn't working that well since there is a
specific committee because in the end there are only a _very_
few people who have all the work (to clarify: it does work, but
has high latency, is still tedious (lack of tooling, data mining
is very difficult because it's just a non integrated bunch of
different (web) apps), and causes quite some frustration with
the 2 or 3 people who do 99% of the work there (from the
feedback I've had over time from those).

*But* that's another topic. I don't want to hijack.
If someone things she/he can give meaningful input to that topic,
please create a new thread.

Just wanted to add that here so we keep it in mind as well.

Why would we as a project want to do this?
IMHO, it is important that our members are active and contribute to
the project. There is nothing gained for us as a project to
accumulate a large number of members when the members are not active
in the project and do not contribute. Having only members that are
active also bestows more meaning on board election results and other
votes we might have in the project. This goes back to my earlier
comment and leads to a question, what does it mean when the board
gets elected with a vote count that is less than 50% of the
membership? (I am not implying that I am dissatisfied with the
board). No direct answer to this question please. If we have only
active project participants I would speculate that we will get
participation of 80% or more. Last but not least this should create
a perceived draw to become a member, as you can only be a member and
remain a member if you contribute to the project.

For the discussion, I'd like to ask that people stick to the topic
and not go off on some tangent ;)

Definitely agree with your view on this and your points above.

Actually, when we (in the "bootstrap board", which I was part
of) developed the concept of membership, we already thought that
at some point, we will probably need something like that.

We also discussed a bit on how to handle "former members", so
lemme just throw one proposition:
- former members are listed as former members somewhere (wiki?),
- former members _do_ keep their @opensuse.org email address

The latter point is a bit debatable:
- they are not actively contributing to the project any more, so
do they still have the right to speak for the project ? (which
is what people are perceived to do when they have an
@opensuse.org email address)
- OTOH, killing an email address is a massive pain for everyone:
needs telling everyone "oh I have a new email address",
etc...

I believe the pain (the latter point) is worse and would hence
propose that the email addresses are kept forever (unless
banned, of course, that's a completely different scenario).

I have added this as a topic to the next project meeting (Feb 8,
2012) and will provide a summary of the discussion on the wiki. The
board can then make a decision on how to move forward on this
proposal based on the summary, and hopefully board members will be
following this thread.

Thanks for the email and for tracking this.

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green