[opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-gnome] Re: stupid 12.1
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:44:52 +0000 (UTC)

On 2011-12-23 02:03, Jim Henderson wrote:
I find it to be stable, friendly, and highly usable. I can focus on
running the applications (which, let's face it, is why people use a
computer - not because they can futz with the desktop).

I don't find it friendly. I have been with computers for at least 30
years, and I have seen a lot. I find that I have to learn again, and I
don't find it intuitive. I do it simply because /they/ have choosen a
new way for us,
so I have to follow it or migrate. Thus I'll try to get used to G3, like
it or not.

Well, like I said, it's a good thing there are options, then, isn't it?

I don't find that having to click on the top left, then another click to
choose "applications" then to the top right to click on a category (on a
touchpad, which means lifting my finger at least twice because once does
not traverse the entire screen), and then reading a big list with small
letters, left to right and top to bottom, to be ergonomic (and
page-up/dn do not work).

I don't click, I use the so-called "Windows" key. Though more often I
find myself using the dock extension and alt+f2 to launch programs than
going to the activities screen.

And yes, I also focus on running apps, not on the desktop. Or I did.

I'm used to have a command line applet on which I type the name of the
apps, or choose a previous entry. I can not add that applet, I don't
know how to add applets to the panel.

I also like an applet with the hour and the temperature, of several
cities. Now I can't.

I would like that, yes. But it's not a necessity for me to do my work.
In fact, I find that without that, I spend less time wondering about
stuff like that and tend to be more focused on what I'm actually working
on. I'm more productive.

I have only two workspaces, and I have not seen yet how to add more (I
work with 12 in this machine running G2).

In G3, workspaces are dynamic. Drag a window to an empty workspace, and
a new one opens up. I *really* like that.

So no, I will not say to those that rant in public that they should not.
Because it is pointless. Even if I agree with some of the points, and
disagree on the tone.

I'm not telling people to not criticize things they don't like. But such
criticism, if it's to be met with anything more than "Oh, 'x' doesn't
like this. That's too bad." needs to be actually constructive criticism,
or reported either as a bug or a feature request.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson